top of page
History
Click below to learn more about Tarlton and its creamery history
In 1963, Della and Walter Fox started a small ice cream shop in Tarlton, Ohio. The shop gained substantial popularity when Bill Durgin took over and it became "Durgin's Place" in 1980. Expanding to serve a large variety of hand-dipped ice cream, specialty ice cream sundaes as well as pizza, subs/sandwiches and carry out meals, Durgin's drew customers from all over Central Ohio. Although Durgin's Place exists no longer, Crosstown Creamery & Diner strives to become a similar staple for locals and draw loyal customers from all over Ohio!
Probably the first settlement in Pickaway County, Tarlton was settled in 1801 as Newellstown. It is thought that the community was later named for British Cavalry Commander Sir Banastre Tarleton.
According to newspapers it was a pretty prestigious town boasting of a couple sawmills, train depot, five churches, a few general stores and several area schools.

bottom of page